• العربية
  • فارسی
Brand
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Theme
  • Language
    • العربية
    • فارسی
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
All rights reserved for Volant Media UK Limited
volant media logo

Macron blames Iran-backed Hezbollah for deadly attack on UN patrol

Apr 18, 2026, 14:18 GMT+1

French President Emmanuel Macron said on Saturday that Hezbollah was responsible for an attack in southern Lebanon that killed a French UN peacekeeper and wounded three others.

““All indications suggest that responsibility for this attack lies with Hezbollah. France demands that the Lebanese authorities immediately arrest those responsible and assume their responsibilities alongside UNIFIL,” he wrote in a post on X.

Macron identified the dead peacekeeper as Florian Montorio, a French national, after the UN peacekeeping force UNIFIL said one of its patrols had come under attack by “non-state actors.”

The Iran-backed group did not immediately comment on the attack, which came amid continued tensions in southern Lebanon despite efforts to preserve the ceasefire.

Most Viewed

Iran finds a new weapon beneath Hormuz
1
ANALYSIS

Iran finds a new weapon beneath Hormuz

2
INSIGHT

How Iran’s blackout warps online picture of public opinion

3
EXCLUSIVE

How an IRGC-linked money laundering network operates from London

4
ANALYSIS

Two years after Raisi’s crash: Iran has no sanctuary

5
INSIGHT

Tehran unsure whether Trump is bluffing or preparing for war

Banner
Banner

Spotlight

  • Calls for pragmatism grow in Iran but rulers appear unmoved
    INSIGHT

    Calls for pragmatism grow in Iran but rulers appear unmoved

  • How Iran’s blackout warps online picture of public opinion
    INSIGHT

    How Iran’s blackout warps online picture of public opinion

  • Tehran unsure whether Trump is bluffing or preparing for war
    INSIGHT

    Tehran unsure whether Trump is bluffing or preparing for war

  • Why Tehran threatens Trump while pursuing diplomacy
    ANALYSIS

    Why Tehran threatens Trump while pursuing diplomacy

  • How an IRGC-linked money laundering network operates from London
    EXCLUSIVE

    How an IRGC-linked money laundering network operates from London

  • Tehran Stock Exchange reopens under tight controls as key firms stay closed
    ANALYSIS

    Tehran Stock Exchange reopens under tight controls as key firms stay closed

•
•
•

More Stories

Container ship hit by projectile off Oman, UKMTO says

Apr 18, 2026, 14:07 GMT+1

A container ship was hit by an unknown projectile about 25 nautical miles northeast of Oman, causing damage to some containers, the UK Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) said on Saturday.

UKMTO said no fires or environmental damage had been reported, and advised vessels to report any suspicious activity.

Iran freezes assets of dissident actors, athletes and journalists

Apr 18, 2026, 13:49 GMT+1

Iran’s judiciary said on Saturday it had ordered the identification and seizure of bank accounts, property and other assets belonging to individuals accused of cooperating with foreign services, hostile media and anti-establishment groups.

The judiciary named a number of public figures whose assets it said had been identified and frozen.

The statement described them as supporters of the United States and Israel without providing evidence for the accusations.

Iran wants Hormuz open, but US weakens diplomacy, deputy FM says

Apr 18, 2026, 13:35 GMT+1

Iran wants the Strait of Hormuz to remain open, but believes the United States is trying to undermine the diplomatic track, the deputy foreign minister said on Saturday.

“We want the Strait of Hormuz to remain open, but the American side is trying to weaken the diplomatic path,” Saeed Khatibzadeh said.

He said there would be no blockade in the future and that no one could dictate terms to Iran.

He added that if war broke out again, Iran would respond with full force.

Iranian assaulted in London amid concern over threats to regime critics

Apr 18, 2026, 13:27 GMT+1

Iran International has received reports that an Iranian man was violently assaulted in central London. The Metropolitan Police are understood to be investigating.

The man has not been named. Sources say he was a professional working in the area and a peaceful opponent of the Iranian government.

The attack comes at a time of growing concern about threats, intimidation, and violence affecting people linked to Iran in Britain.

Continue reading

Iranian assaulted in London amid concern over threats to regime critics

Apr 18, 2026, 13:00 GMT+1

Iran International has received reports that an Iranian man was violently assaulted in central London. The Metropolitan Police are understood to be investigating.

The man has not been named. Sources say he was a professional working in the area and a peaceful opponent of the Iranian government.

The attack comes at a time of growing concern about threats, intimidation, and violence affecting people linked to Iran in Britain.

On Friday, British police charged three people over an attempted arson attack near the London offices of Iran International. Police said a burning container was thrown towards the broadcaster’s headquarters in north-west London. No one was injured, but the case has added to concerns about the safety of Persian-language media in Britain.

Before that, in March 2026, an Iran-aligned group was reported to have claimed responsibility for an arson attack on Jewish ambulances in Golders Green, north London.

In May 2025, three Iranian men were charged under the National Security Act after a major counter-terrorism investigation. Prosecutors said one of the men had carried out surveillance, reconnaissance, and online research with the aim of committing serious violence against a person in the UK.

The other two were accused of similar activity intended to help others carry out serious violence. The Home Secretary said the case was part of a broader response to threats linked to the Iranian state.

British authorities have warned for several years that Iran poses a serious threat on UK soil.

In October 2024, the head of MI5, Ken McCallum, said the security service and police had responded to 20 Iran-backed plots since January 2022 involving potentially lethal threats to British citizens and UK residents. He said many of the cases were linked to opponents of the Iranian state living in Britain.

The full circumstances of this latest assault are not yet public. But for many in the Iranian community, the message will already be clear. It will be seen as part of a wider climate of fear facing Iranians in exile, especially those who oppose the government in Tehran.