• العربية
  • فارسی
Brand
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Theme
  • Language
    • العربية
    • فارسی
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
All rights reserved for Volant Media UK Limited
volant media logo

IAEA says cannot assure Iran’s nuclear program is exclusively peaceful

Feb 27, 2026, 14:30 GMT+0

The UN nuclear watchdog warned it will not be in a position to provide assurance that Iran’s nuclear program is exclusively peaceful unless Tehran restores access to key facilities, according to confidential reports seen by Bloomberg and the Associated Press.

International Atomic Energy Agency Director General Rafael Grossi said the agency has been unable to verify the status and location of Iran’s stockpile of highly enriched uranium since military strikes by the United States and Israel hit several nuclear sites in June.

The IAEA said it has not been granted access to Iran’s four declared enrichment facilities and has therefore lost “continuity of knowledge” over previously declared nuclear material at affected sites. As a result, it cannot verify whether Iran has suspended all enrichment-related activities or confirm the current size, composition or whereabouts of its enriched uranium stockpile.

Grossi said his agency “will not be in a position to provide assurance that Iran’s nuclear program is exclusively peaceful” until Iran improves its cooperation.

Inspectors have observed regular vehicular activity at bombed sites, including the underground complex at Isfahan and the enrichment facilities at Natanz and Fordow, through satellite imagery. However, Grossi said that without on-site inspections the agency cannot determine the nature or purpose of those activities.

According to the IAEA, Iran holds 440.9 kg (972 pounds) of uranium enriched up to 60% purity, a short technical step from weapons-grade levels of 90%. Grossi has previously said that while such material does not mean Iran has a nuclear weapon, it could, in theory, be sufficient for multiple bombs if further enriched.

The warning comes as Iran and the United States continue indirect talks over Tehran’s nuclear activities. Iran maintains that its nuclear program is exclusively peaceful.

Most Viewed

Shortage of opium syrup threatens addiction treatment in Iran
1

Shortage of opium syrup threatens addiction treatment in Iran

2
INSIGHT

Iran’s café culture buckles as everyday life contracts

3
ANALYSIS

China’s Iran balancing act grows more costly

4
PODCAST

Can Iran’s economy survive a twin squeeze from blockade and blackout?

5

Iran says Quran 'memorization' schools to expand

Banner
Banner

Spotlight

  • Iran’s café culture buckles as everyday life contracts
    INSIGHT

    Iran’s café culture buckles as everyday life contracts

  • China’s Iran balancing act grows more costly
    ANALYSIS

    China’s Iran balancing act grows more costly

  • Tehran media sees rising risk of war as US talks stall
    INSIGHT

    Tehran media sees rising risk of war as US talks stall

  • Xi may help Trump on Iran, but at a price
    ANALYSIS

    Xi may help Trump on Iran, but at a price

  • How one Tehran hospital became a window into Iran’s January massacre
    SPECIAL REPORT

    How one Tehran hospital became a window into Iran’s January massacre

•
•
•

More Stories

Fake CEO and cat photos help uncover billion-dollar IRGC crypto network

Feb 27, 2026, 10:56 GMT+0

Two UK-registered cryptocurrency exchanges allegedly processed billions of dollars for Iran’s Revolutionary Guards using a fabricated chief executive built from stock footage, according to an investigation by the Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project (OCCRP).

The report said the companies, Zedcex and Zedxion, listed a supposed director and person with significant control named “Elizabeth Newman,” but investigators found no passport records, migration history or other evidence that such a person exists.

Promotional materials for the exchanges used stock video footage labeled “Pretty black woman talking to camera” from Shutterstock to portray the fictitious executive, while other “team members” also appeared to be generic stock clips.

The companies were able to register in Britain because, until recently, Companies House required no identity verification for corporate filings.

OCCRP’s investigation also linked the exchanges to Iranian tycoon Babak Morteza Zanjani, who was sentenced to death in 2016 for embezzling oil revenues but whose sentence was commuted in 2024.

Zanjani briefly appeared as a director of Zedxion, the report said, and his name remains embedded in the metadata of the exchange’s white paper. A YouTube video also shows him promoting Zedcex.

Despite filing as dormant companies in Britain, the two exchanges processed roughly $94 billion in transactions, OCCRP reported.

Investigators traced more than $1 billion in cryptocurrency flows connected to entities linked to Iran’s Revolutionary Guard, according to the report and blockchain analysis firm TRM Labs.

That included more than $10 million sent to a Yemeni financier accused of supporting Houthi attacks on shipping in the Red Sea, the report said.

A key link between the network and Zanjani emerged through social media posts by his partner, Solmaz Bani—also known as Niyoosha or Sara Bani—a former model whom investigators say registered newsletter domains connected to the exchanges and appeared in login data tied to their operations.

According to the investigation, images shared by Zedxion’s Telegram channel in May 2024 showed a white cat with grey-brown markings and a distinctive purple bell collar.

A nearly identical cat, wearing the same collar, appeared in photographs posted on Bani’s now-deleted Facebook account in February 2025.

Investigators also said distinctive furniture seen in Zanjani’s social media posts matched items appearing in photographs linked to the exchange network.

The report said the scheme may have helped finance activities linked to the Revolutionary Guard, including repression during protests in Iran in January 2026 triggered by inflation and currency collapse.

The US Treasury sanctioned Zanjani on January 30, 2026. Britain has also sanctioned him, though the exchanges themselves have not been targeted.

New identity-verification requirements for Companies House filings are due to take effect in May 2026.

Zanjani dismissed the US accusations on social media platform X, calling them “merely a pretext for seizing 660 million Tether and extortion.”

The exchanges and Bani did not respond to requests for comment, according to the investigation.

Trump rhetoric signals shift toward conflict, experts say

Feb 27, 2026, 10:38 GMT+0
•
Negar Mojtahedi

President Donald Trump’s recent remarks on Iran, including his State of the Union address and frustration with ongoing nuclear talks, signal a shift beyond diplomacy to national security and human rights concerns, analysts told Eye for Iran.

A panel of security and policy analysts said the tone and structure of the administration’s messaging suggest Washington is increasingly reframing the Iran challenge around multiple justifications simultaneously, including ballistic missile threats, regional destabilization and mass killings inside Iran.

Janatan Sayeh, a research analyst focusing on Iranian affairs at the Foundation for Defense of Democracies (FDD), said the speech reflected three distinct pillars that historically have shaped US decisions to escalate foreign policy crises.

“If you look at all these three pillars,” he said, referring to nuclear ambitions, ballistic missiles and human rights violations, “they have been historically used to explain why the United States would get involved in a foreign conflict.”

According to Sayeh, the evolving rhetoric reflects growing pessimism in Washington about the prospects for diplomacy.

From nuclear file to broader threats

For years, US policy discussions surrounding Iran largely centered on the nuclear program. But Trump’s recent remarks placed greater emphasis on Tehran’s missile capabilities, warning they could eventually threaten the US homeland as well as American bases overseas.

“They’ve already developed missiles that can threaten Europe and our bases overseas, and they’re working to build missiles that will soon reach the United States of America," said Trump during his State of Union address this week.

Shayan Samii, a former US government appointee, said the messaging appeared designed to build a political and public framework for possible escalation.

“President Trump tried to create basically a framework for what a military intervention would be and why there is a need for a military intervention,” Samii told Eye for Iran.

He added that referencing the reported killing of tens of thousands of protesters carried particular significance.

“When he validates the number 32,000, that basically is telling the world that a massacre has occurred and we need to have a collective response for it,” Sami said.

The framing, he argued, was aimed not only at Trump’s political base but also at building broader bipartisan support in Washington.

Tehran’s defiant posture

Despite increasingly forceful rhetoric from Washington, analysts said Tehran appears to be continuing escalation while dismissing the significance of US warnings.

Middle East historian and political analyst Shahram Kholdi said Islamic Republic leaders are behaving as though the shift in tone does not signal imminent action.

“They are reacting as if they have not heard anything that President Trump has said,” Kholdi said.

He described Iran’s posture as a pattern of “passive-aggressive… escalatory behavior,” arguing that the regime is rebuilding military capabilities damaged in earlier confrontations during the 12-day war in June.

“They are rebuilding everything… the ballistic missile program, air defense systems,” he said, adding that Tehran appears to view Washington as “all rhetoric and no action.”

Diplomacy meets deterrence

The day after the latest round of talks concluded Thursday, Trump signaled growing frustration with negotiations.

“I’m not happy with the fact that they’re not willing to give us what we have to have… We’ll see what happens,” Trump told reporters Friday. “No, I’m not happy with the way they’re going.”

The remarks come amid a substantial US military deployment already positioned in and around the Middle East, including carrier strike groups, advanced fighter aircraft and additional naval assets — a buildup analysts say increases pressure while diplomacy continues.

Sayeh argued that extended negotiations may serve a strategic purpose by demonstrating that diplomatic avenues have been exhausted.

“As the talks drag out… it signals to the world that the West has exhausted all diplomatic options,” he said.

The combination of military buildup, shifting rhetoric and bipartisan concern marks a notable turning point in how Iran is being discussed in Washington.

Historian and political analyst Shahram Kholdi described the US military buildup as “a world war scale force,” comparing it to the kind of power Washington brought to bear during World War II’s Operation Torch.

As negotiations continue alongside escalating military signaling, the central question remains unresolved: whether the current posture is intended to force concessions from Tehran or to prepare the ground for a more decisive action.

Two arrested over shooting at Iranian lawmaker’s car, prosecutor says

Feb 27, 2026, 08:24 GMT+0

Two people have been arrested in connection with a shooting at the car of Iranian lawmaker Abbas Bigdeli, a provincial prosecutor said on Friday.

Ali Asghar Asgari, prosecutor of Qazvin, said the two suspects were detained over the use of a hunting weapon against Bigdeli’s vehicle. A judicial case has been opened against them, he added.

Asgari said the incident did not have a “terrorist” nature.

On Thursday evening, Salar Abnoush, head of the Qazvin provincial assembly of lawmakers, said the personal vehicle of Bigdeli, who represents Takestan in parliament, was hit by pellet gun fire. He said the lawmaker was unharmed.

Geneva talks end with no breakthrough as US continues war preparations

Feb 27, 2026, 02:23 GMT+0

US-Iran nuclear talks in Geneva ended on Thursday without any achievements, with Iran rejecting key US demands while Washington maintaining military readiness and top officials signaling a hardline stance, according to Iranian and Western media reports.

Delegations from Tehran and Washington met under Omani mediation for the third round of indirect talks, focusing on Iran’s nuclear program and sanctions relief, according to Iran’s foreign ministry.

Omani Foreign Minister Badr al-Busaidi said technical discussions would resume next week in Vienna.

While the Omani top diplomat spoke of “progress” in negotiations, US media said no breakthrough was achieved.

Iran rejected major US proposals, including transferring enriched uranium abroad, halting enrichment, and dismantling certain nuclear sites, The Wall Street Journal reported citing informed sources.

US military and political pressure continues

The talks took place amid a large US military presence in the Middle East. Shortly after the talks, CENTCOM chief Admiral Brad Cooper briefed President Donald Trump on potential options, ranging from limited strikes on nuclear and missile sites to broader operations involving Israel, carrying risks of escalation and regime change.

White House officials stressed that no decisions had yet been made.

In Washington, lawmakers signaled hardline positions. Senate Republicans posted on X that “Iran will never have a nuclear weapon.” Representative Carlos Gimenez warned that past deals “breathed new life into the regime” and argued that extraordinary measures may be needed to prevent a nuclear-armed Iran.

US Vice President JD Vance, cited by The Washington Post, said the United States would avoid another prolonged Middle East war while keeping both diplomatic and military options open.

The talks coincide with domestic pressures in Iran, where universities have shifted to online-only classes amid ongoing protests. Observers say the lack of breakthroughs highlights the fragile state of the diplomatic process.

Negotiators are expected to return next week. Core disagreements over enrichment and sanctions remain, leaving the outcome uncertain as Iran continues uranium enrichment and the US maintains military readiness in the region.

Famous footballer out of contact after calling Khamenei ‘Satan,’ wife says

Feb 26, 2026, 22:23 GMT+0

Famous Iranian footballer Rashid Mazaheri has had no contact with his wife for more than 48 hours after comparing Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei to Satan in a social media post condemning the Islamic Republic’s January massacre of protesters, she said.

Mazaheri on Wednesday posted an image on Instagram of Khamenei labeled “Satan,” with the caption: “Your command over this sacred land has ended.”

The post was later deleted, and her wife Maryam Abdollahi said the goalkeeper’s current whereabouts are unknown.

100%

The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC)-affiliated Fars News said on Wednesday that a summons had been issued for Mazaheri over an alleged 4-billion-toman - $80,000 - fraud, and that the footballer was "exploiting the country's situation and fabricating lies to avoid paying his debts."

Mazaheri's wife rejected the Fars report, calling them a “carefully engineered lie meant to cover up the truth.”

“Any reports suggesting his arrest over financial matters are fabricated lies meant to hide the truth," she posted on Instagram.

“Rashid knew about these traps and has stood courageously, remaining in his homeland. His bravery cannot be hidden behind these dirty scenarios," she said.

Mazaheri was a goalkeeper for Tehran giants Esteghlal and was even named in Iran's preliminary squad for the 2018 World Cup in Russia.