Russia slams Trump’s threat to bomb Iran, China calls for diplomacy
Russia has warned against strikes on Iran's nuclear infrastructure as China called for diplomatic efforts after US President Donald Trump threatened to bomb the country if Tehran did not come to an agreement over its nuclear program.
"Threats are indeed being heard, ultimatums are also being heard," Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov told the Russian journal International Affairs in an interview on Tuesday.
"We consider such methods inappropriate, we condemn them, we consider them a way for (the United States) to impose its own will on the Iranian side," he added.
Trump on Sunday warned that Iran could face bombing and secondary tariffs if a nuclear deal was not reached with Washington.
Ryabkov warned that a US strike on Iran, particularly targeting its nuclear infrastructure, could have catastrophic consequences for the entire region.
"There is still time, and the 'train has not left the station' yet. We must intensify efforts to reach a reasonable agreement," Ryabkov said. "Russia is ready to offer its services to Washington, Tehran and all parties interested in resolving this issue."
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov also said last month that Russian President Vladimir Putin had agreed to mediate nuclear talks between Washington and Tehran.
China also expressed concerns on Tuesday, with Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesperson Guo Jiakun saying that the Iranian nuclear issue should be resolved through diplomatic means.
"China maintains that resolving the Iranian nuclear issue through political and diplomatic means is the only right option and that new consensus needs to be reached," Jiakun said in response to a reporter's question about Trump's threats against Iran during a press briefing.
"The US needs to show political sincerity and resume talks as soon as possible. Slapping sanctions, pressuring, and threatening with the use of force will lead nowhere,” he added.
Earlier in March, an Emirati official brought a letter from Trump proposing nuclear talks with Tehran, which the Islamic Republic's Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei rejected, saying such a proposal was deception from Washington amid crippling sanctions on Iran.
Iran officially responded to a letter last Wednesday seeking a nuclear deal. While Iran has rejected direct negotiations with the United States, Iran's President Masoud Pezeshkian said indirect talks can continue, adding that Ali Khamenei's response to Trump’s letter was delivered to the US contact in Oman.