Iran is responsible for the attack on Saudi oil facilities: Rick Perry
The US Secretary of Energy, Rick Perry, says Iran is responsible for the drone attack against Saudi oil facilities.
In his speech at the IAEA general conference on Monday, Perry said: "The United States wholeheartedly condemns Iran attacks against the kingdom of Saudi Arabia. And we call on other nations to do the same.”
Perry continued: “This behavior is unacceptable. They must be held accountable.”
“Make no mistake about it. This was a deliberate attack on the global economy and the global energy market.
Previously, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo blamed Iran for the attack and tweeted that these attacks were done while President Rouhani and Foreign Minister Zarif pretend to engage in diplomacy.
“President Trump has also authorized the release of strategic petroleum reserves if that is needed, and my department stands ready to respond,” said Perry.
Abbas Mousavi, the spokesman for the foreign ministry of the Islamic Republic rejected the Islamic Republic’s role in the recent attack against Saudi oil facilities and called the allegations “baseless and irrelevant.”
Two days after the drone attack against Saudi oil facilities which decreased the country’s oil production, the price of oil increased by 20 percent in international markets, reaching over $71 a barrel.
This is the highest price jump in the past 3 decades since Iraq attacked Kuwait.
President Trump had also previously tweeted about the possibility of releasing strategic petroleum reserves if necessary.
As the world’s largest oil exporter in the world, Saudi Arabia was exporting 9.8 million barrels a day before the attacks. The attacks reduced Saudi oil production by five million barrels a day.